Kala Masala Special Aloo Sabji



How I wonder that a simple aloo has so many methods of preparation. Living in Kolkata, I used to love eating aloo sabji made with bhuna jeera masala. It is a locally served delicacy.



The sabji is on a bit darker colour side due to its ingredients. It tastes great and different. So when I came to Delhi, me and my husband used to miss that flavour. Thanks to one of the Halwai I had known there who taught me to make it. So now I can satisfy our kala masala aloo sabji craving in a jiffy.

I made it for breakfast with some masala puris. You may serve it with parathas or Bedmi puris(click here to read recipe) too, but puris are the best compliment to it.

With this sabji to begin with I am thinking of sharing with you a series of different methods of aloo sabji.

I am sure you will love all of them.

Kala Masala Special Aloo Sabji

Serves -2

Ingredients

250gms Potatoes (Boiled, peeled and mashed)
1/2 tbsp Oil
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 inch ginger piece(coarsely crushed)
1/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
Salt to taste

For Kala masala
1/4 tsp Garam Masala
1 tsp Jeera (Dry roasted and coarsely ground)
1 tsp Amchur powder
1/2 tsp Coriander powder (Dhania Powder)
1/2 tsp Kasoori Methi
Pinch of turmeric powder

Method

  • For Kala Masala - Dry roast jeera in a pan till it changes its colour to dark brown and emit strong aroma. Let it cool and grind it coarsely in a mortar and pestle. Now mix it with garam masala, amchur powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and kasoori methi. Keep this masala mixture ready to be used in the sabji.
  • In a deep pan heat some oil and saute the green chillies and coarsely crushed ginger.
  • Add the tomatoes and cook them on low flame till tender.
  • Now is the time to add the kala masala and cook for half a minute.
  • Add in the mashed potatoes. The potatoes should be mashed by crushing one at a time within our fist. This way you will get uneven pieces which looks good while presenting the curry.
  • Give it a stir and add salt and 2 cups of water.
  • Let the sabji cook on low flame for 4 - 5 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally. When it reaches a curry like consistency switch off the flame and serve hot with puris. 
So by the time I am back with another recipe enjoy making this sabji.

Till then

Stay Happy Stay Healthy!

Comments

Popular Posts