Vegetable Daliya


Daliya or broken wheat as it is called in english is very healthy and should form a part of our regular diet. 

As a kid I never liked it. My mother used to prepare vegetable daliya for dinner. As I learnt cooking, I made certain alterations to her recipe and now I like my version of this dish. She says I cook it better than her. 


My style vegetable daliya is quick to make and full of vegetables so it is nutrients rich too. I normally prepare it for dinner as it is light on stomach and filling and easy to make.

Vegetable Daliya

Serves 2

Ingredients
1 cup Daliya / Broken wheat
2 cups Mixed vegetables (green peas, capsicum, potato, carrot, french beans,sweet corn kernels)
1/4 cup each - onion and tomatoes finely chopped
8 - 10 cashews
15-20 Raisins (soaked in water)
1 tbsp Ghee
1 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Jeera
1 tsp Red Chili Powder
Pinch of Turmeric
1/2 tsp Garam masala
Salt to taste
2 1/2 cups Warm Water

Cut all the vegetables into small dices. Green peas and other vegetables after chopping together should be 2 cups. You can use any other vegetables of your choice.

Method

  • Dry roast daliya in a pan on medium flame for 2 minutes till it is fragrant. Keep it aside on a plate.
  • In a deep Kadai heat ghee. Once the ghee is hot add the jeera and as it splutters add the mixed vegetables.
  • Saute them for 3 - 4 minutes till they are half cooked on low flame by covering it with lid.
  • Now add roasted daliya, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala, cashews and raisins. Mix well.
  • Pour in 2 1/2 cups of warm water and add salt and butter. Cover with lid and let it cook on low flame for 3 - 4 minutes.
  • Now add tomatoes and onions, give it a mix and let it again cook covered for another 2 minutes or till all the water is absorbed and the vegetables and daliya is cooked completely. If you feel they are still raw you may add water. But this is the exact measurement that I follow.
  • Taste for any seasoning before serving. Serve hot with curd or any raita of your choice.
I like to squeeze some lemon juice on it to make it complete. 

Do prepare this healthy, easy and quick recipe for your family.

Subscribe to my blog for regular recipe updates. Your comments and experiences gives me immense pleasure. Do share them in the comment section below.

Till Then,

Stay Happy Stay Healthy!

Comments

Popular Posts